New Orleans – it is rare to see a doctor publicly hang another out to dry, let alone an investigator in a clinical trial, but that’s what appeared to happen earlier today in the CLL press briefing at the 2013 Annual Meeting of the American Society of Hematology.
New Orleans – Saturday at the annual meeting of the American Society of Hematology (ASH) is mainly focused on education and science, although there are also several hundred posters available for those in need of a data injection.
ASH for me always starts on a Saturday, as Friday is taken up with travel and a Super Friday corporate symposium, if any manage to catch our interest.
New Orleans – Novartis announced this morning that their novel pan-HDAC inhibitor, panobinostat (LBH589) in combination with bortezomib (Velcade) and dexamethasone significantly prolonged progression-free survival (PFS) of patients with Multiple Myeloma in the phase III PANORAMA-1 trial.
Originally, I was thinking of doing an in-depth review of lymphomas i.e. non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma (NHL), which involve 85% of lymphomas and Hodgkin’s lymphoma (HL), which take up the remaining 15%. This topic, however, has been largely done to death already.
Last night Luke Timmerman of Xconomy posted a nice article on the formation of a new Seattle startup, Juno Therapeutics, which aims to develop the chimeric antigen receptor therapy (CART) based on autologous T cells developed by Memorial Sloan Kettering (MSK) in New York, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Center (FHCC) and the Seattle Children’s Hospital, both in Seattle.
The chronic lymphocytic leukemia (CLL) landscape has been one of the most dynamic and exciting over the last 12 months, with many new therapies emerging against different targets from CD20 to BCR signaling, Bcl2 to the PI3K pathway. Other new targets may also soon emerge.
In the first part of his interview, Dr Jenkins shared with Biotech Strategy Blog the FDA perspective on what constitutes a breakthrough drug? Given he is one of the senior managers at the FDA and sits on the committee that decides whether to grant or deny a company’s breakthrough therapy request, his opinion counts.
This year at the American Society of Hematology (ASH) there are over 800 abstracts on multiple myeloma alone. Obviously, one can’t possible do them all justice, but there are a number of important ones that are well worth highlighting, especially given the raft of new products in development, as well as some solid data from existing approved products.
The FDA approval earlier this week of ibrutinib (Imbruvica) for the treatment of mantle cell lymphoma (MCL), and the recent approval of GA101 / obinutuzumab (Gazyva), for previously untreated chronic lymphocytic leukemia (CLL) is good news for patients.